Alastair Graham (@ajggeoger) and myself Andrew Cutts (@map_andrew) present an informal podcast looking at the world of modern remote sensing and Earth observation. Fuelled by our passion for all things raster and geospatial, the #scenefromabove podcast aims to be a mix of news, opinion, discussion and interviews.
We had a lot of fun doing this and huge credit to Alastair who does all the editing; I just did some talking and thinking… I hope you enjoy.
Season 2 Episode 3: U got skillz?
Scene From Above S2E3 (download file recorded 26th 2018)
In this episode we record ourselves together in the same room for the first time, and discuss what skills are useful to have if you want to get a job dealing with EO imagery, and whether those skills have changed over the decades. In the news we talk about the Geospatial Commission and MasterMap, Sentinel-5P and space harpoons!
- As we were both in the same building at the same time, we grabbed a seat in the Satellite Applications Catapult which is part of the Harwell Space Cluster
- Geospatial Commission moves to open up parts of OS MasterMap
- Sentinel-5P maps of Formaldehyde
- Airbus are in the news! TerraSAR-X tasking and links with Planet.
- PakTES-1A launch announced
- SSTL launches RemoveDebris space harpoon!
Season 2 Episode 2: What’s in your bag?
Scene From Above S2E1 (download file recorded 8th June 2018)
In this episode we talk about what software might be good for EO image processing and whether you should know a bit of coding and have a decent laptop. In the news we talk about ICEYE, LiDAR data, Open-EO and geoint trends.
- ICEYE raises a huge amount of cash to do cool things with radar!
- Six top GeoInt trends
- Mediterranean Sea Surface Temperature Climatology
- Open LiDAR data for England from the Environment Agency
- Open EO User requirements survey
- 13 Open Source Remote Sensing Software Packages (2018)
Season 2 Episode 1: Geo-what-inary?
Scene From Above S2E1 (download file recorded 18th May 2018)
A new season!
Topic this time is all about geostationary EO satellites. In the news we talk about charging for Landsat imagery, the Jupyter project, cloud free S2 imagery and ecology.
- What happens if the US starts charging for Landsat?
- Sentinel 5P tracking ships dirty emissions.
- Pettorelli et al. article and RS for ecology article.
- Cloudless S2 map.
- Jupyter Project gets awarded for their efforts and impact.
- Meteosat images.
- And more Meteosat images.
Season 1 Episode 6: Quickfire round
Scene From Above S1E6 (download file recorded 5th April)
In this episode we ask each other a few EO based questions, that turn out not to be as quick-fire as we initially thought they would be. In the news we talk about space junk, a Copernicus workshop, a UK spaceport and Earth on AWS. Amongst other things.
- Space fishing! Reducing space junk using a harpoon and/or a net. And another article about reducing space junk.
- The double-decker bus converter.
- Amazing oblique imagery from Planet. Also, an oldie-but-goodie launch from the ISS.
- Cryosat used to monitor the Antarctic.
- Announcing the Inaugural Earth on AWS Fellowships and Internships Program.
- Copernicus for Water Management workshop.
Season 1 Episode 5: Analytical about Analytics
Scene From Above S1E5 (download file recorded on 14th March 2018)
In this episode we talk about using analytics and analytical methods to extract information from imagery, rather than just looking at nice images. In the news we talk about Remote Pixel, conferences, and a new R software package. Amongst other things.
- Remote Pixel NDVI series
- New penguin habitats discovered from space
- Letter in the Guardian about space junk in response to this article
- The SnapPlanet.io mobile app
- UK National Earth Observation Conference
- R-stats SITS package for timeseries analysis
- Enter the Landsense Challenge
Season 1 Episode 4: Timelapse
Scene From Above S1E4 (download file recorded on 21st March 2018)
In this episode we talk about how the temporal nature of remotely sensed data enriches the information in the imagery. In the news we talk about JupyterLab, another film review (!) and of course, SpaceX. Amongst other things.
- JupyterLab is ready for users
- Landsat 8 is five years old
- Mission Control: the unsung heroes of Apollo
- SpaceX – double sonic booms
- Sarbian OS
- Himawari 8 images of Mount Sinabung eruption
- Google Earth Engine Timelapse
- Timeseries vs GIS vs Remote Sensing on Google Trends
Transcript for Episode 4 will appear here in due course.
Season 1 Episode 3: Predictions?
Scene From Above S1E3 (download file recorded on 2nd February 2018)
In this episode we talk about a few things that we think will be big in 2018. We also chat about AWS, drought, Voyager and more.
- Sentinel 1 on AWS
- The Farthest
- DigitalGlobe ML for data storage
- RocketLab and the Humanity Star (and space graffiti)
- Planet Explorer Beta
- Cape Town Day Zero
- 20 years of Hype Cycles
Transcript for Episode 3 is partly available http://www.acgeospatial.co.uk/s1e3-transcript/
Season 1 Episode 2: What is Open Data?
Scene From Above S1 E2 (download file recorded 12th Jan 2018)
In this episode we discuss open data – what it is, how useful it is and whether there are levels of openness. We also chat about satellite launches, gigapixel images, conferences and more.
- Satellite launches
- Hyperspectral cubesats
- Landsat Science Team
- Europe Gigapixel mosaic image
- SCP 6 tool
- Sentinel-2 statistics
- FOSS4G-UK conference
- FOSS4G global conference
- Rasters Revealed 2018 conference
Transcript for Episode 2 is available here www.acgeospatial.co.uk/s1e2-transcript
Season 1 Episode 1: Is Google Earth the killer app?
In this episode we talk about whether or not Google Earth is still the killer app that non-specialists go to for their Earth observation fix, and what the next app might need to look like to take over the mantle from GE. We also chat about wildfires, openEO, the ISS and more.
- 2030 Vision For A World Empowered by Satellites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbrjkFWWtX4
- Wildfires: https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=91427
- Sentinel-3 portal: goo.gl/kigAW4
- openEO: http://openeo.org/
- GIS is Google Earth, but better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gc4r7gMz4k
- Wikimapia: http://wikimapia.org/
Transcript for Episode 1 is available here http://www.acgeospatial.co.uk/s1e1-transcript/
Season 1 Episode 0: Demo (Pilot)
- The GEE powered app: https://remap-app.org/remap
- Sentinel 5P image of Bali: http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/2017/12/Sentinel-5P_captures_Bali_volcanic_eruption
- Morocco satellite: http://northafricapost.com/20567-mohammed-vi-satellite-launched-orbit.html
Transcript for the Pilot is available here http://www.acgeospatial.co.uk/s1e0-transcript/
Note for readers / listeners
These podcasts are based on opinions at the time of recording. We will seek to rectify any errors as we come across them. We reserve the right to change our opinions at any time. We are not being paid to produce these podcasts.