Alastair Graham (@ajggeoger) and myself Andrew Cutts (@map_andrew) present an informal podcast looking at the world of modern remote sensing and Earth observation. Fuelled by our passion for all things raster and geospatial, the #scenefromabove podcast aims to be a mix of news, opinion, discussion and interviews.
We had a lot of fun doing this and huge credit to Alastair who does all the editing; I just did some talking and thinking… I hope you enjoy.
Season 4 Episode 2: Cubesats
Scene From above S4E2 (download file recorded on 27th Feb 2019)
Cubesats are all the rage, but what are they and why should we care? In the news we mention GEOS, machine learning and a greener world. Amongst other things.
- How accurate is machine learning? My post of the month
- Machine learning data 1: BigEarthNet
- Machine learning data 2: Dataset list
- The world is getting greener?
- Paul Ramsey and Martin Davis will be working on GEOS
- Homework: the EARSC DIAS comparison
- Article on smallsats
- Cubesats at CSIRO
- Interview with Peter Beck at RocketLab
- Build your own cubesat
- Planet back in the day
We need your help to make a special episode. We’d like to have an episode where we hear from you so we encourage you to record 2-3 minutes of audio (or write a couple of paragraphs) about what you think is exciting in remote sensing as you see it. Please include your name and Twitter handle so we can name check you in the podcast. We’d be really interested to hear about cool things happening in your part of the world but please don’t make it a sales pitch for your own organisation – that won’t make the edit. We reserve the right to edit what you send us so that it fits the podcast format but we’ll try to keep the message true to what you are trying to say.
You can send your contributions to firstname.lastname@example.org
before April 25th 2019. We look forward to finding out what you have to say!
Season 4 Episode 1: Interview with 2ExcelGeo
Scene From above S4E1 (download file recorded on 6th Feb 2019)
In this episode we interview Kate Doyle of 2ExcelGeo about aerial data collection and finding work after university. In the news we mention SAR software, UK Space growth and Sensat. Amongst other things.
- The UK space sectore is creating jobs
- ESRI ArcGIS Notebooks
- A new SAR-bot called Synthetic Aperture Random
- SAR software #1: HyP3
- SAR software #2: S1 Tiling
- ALL the pixels from the rather impressive Sensat
- GLOBE Adopt a Pixel
- The 2ExcelGeo website
Season 3 Episode 6: Interview with Marlan
Scene From above S3E6 (download file recorded on 23rd January 2019)
In this episode we interview Dr Cai Bird of Marlan Maritime Technologies about a very nifty radar system. In the news we mention WorldView 4, ESA budgets and Python tutorials. Amongst other things.
- Maxar reports the loss of the WorldView-4 satellite
- Online GLCF portal is closed down
- Earth observation gets a good chunk of the ESA Budget
- Satellogic is good to go!
- MODIS VIIRS Client
- Patrick Gray releases Python tutorial notebooks
- Anak Krakatau imaged by ICEYE
- Marlan Maritime Synoptic technology
- A paper on the Marlan method
- Will you be at the Big Data from Space conference?
Season 3 Episode 5: One year on!
Scene From above S3E5 (download file recorded on 20th December 2018)
It’s been a whole year of the Scene From Above podcast. Thank you so much for all your support. In this episode we talk about some of the predictions we made in February in S1 E3. In the news we mention Boundless and Planet, Metop-C and DigitalGlobe. Amongst other things.
- Planet to acquire Boundless
- Hottest companies in satellite technology
- Active users on the SciHub is 33k
- DigitalGlobe images are stunning
- ICESAT updates
- METOP-C ends an era of meteorological satellites
- Hyperscout creates onboard ARD
Season 3 Episode 4: The Radiant Earth Foundation
Scene From above S3E4 (download file recorded on 5th December 2018)
In this episode we talk to Anne Hale Miglarese, CEO of the Radiant Earth Foundation, about the Foundation’s plans and platform as well as the state of modern EO. In the news we mention GEE and S5P, AWS Groundstations, GOES and OpenEO. Amongst other things.
- Russian Progress launch filmed from the ISS (apologies, in the podcast Alastair states that it’s a US launch site)
- More GEE and S5P chat
- AWS announce their Groundstation service
- Imagery available from GOES-17
- Happy 1-year anniversary OpenEO
- Images from NovoSAR
- Congratulations to Sean Quegan’s group for winning the NERC Economic Impact Award 2018
- Andrew’s video of the month: Nyall Dawson
- Check out The Radiant Earth Foundation
- Andrew is going to be at GRSG 2018 so go say hello!
Season 3 Episode 3: Open sauced
Scene From above S3E3 (download file recorded on 19th November 2018)
In this episode we talk about open source software for EO and geospatial analysis. In the news we mention a whole host of things including whales, Sentinel HR, eo-learn and phi-week. Amongst other things.
- Identifying whales from satellite imagery
- Blog post about the Sentinel HR proposal
- Mapping dams from space
- Introducing eo-learn
- $2M contract awarded to Radiant Solutions
- Take the time to check out some of the work done by John Murray
- YouTube playlist for ESA Phi-Week
- The global OSGeo page
- OSGeo:UK the UK chapter
Season 3 Episode 2: All the satellites!
Scene From above S3E2 (download file recorded on 26th October 2018)
In this episode we talk about quite a few of the satellites that are used for EO studies. But we still get hung up on the Sentinels and Landsat! In the news we discuss the release of Raster Vision, Reddit and Sentinel Hub’s education pages.
- More releases from Sentinel 5P
- A tweet about a cool Sentinel data finder in a Jupyter notebook
- A Reddit discussion about RS vs GIS
- OMG! The release of Raster Vision
- The Sentinel Hub Education page
- The ESA Concurrent Engineering Workshop
- Industry Connections from BARSC
- That Sentinel 3 viewer again. Because it’s so good!
- The list that started all this sensor/satellite chat.
Season 3 Episode 1: Web devs and EO Scientists
Scene From Above S3E1 (download file recorded on 3rd October 2018)
In this episode we talk about the importance of getting data disseminated through the web and whether EO scientists are in demand as web developers use APIs to create cool apps. In the news we discuss Google Earth Engine, financing and ocean robots. Amongst other things.
- Google release Earth Engine Apps
- That Brexit tweet
- Rezatec secure investment
- Capella Space win investment
- Orbital Insight acquire FeatureX
- UrthCast announce $25m contract
- Planet and Orbital Insight partnership announced
- Ocean mapping X prize
- New NASA space debris report
- Competition announced by Open Cosmos and ESA
Season 2 Episode 6: Are we in the space sector?
Scene From Above S2E6 (download file recorded on 10th September 2018)
In this episode we talk about how the Earth Observation sector identifies itself. In the news we discuss Remote Pixel, Aeolus, icebergs and Google Dataset Search. Amongst other things.
- Remote Pixel’s issues with site scraping described in this blog post
- Aeolus – it’s all over Twitter and the mainstream media!
- Larsen C update
- Cloud free mosaic of France
- Google Dataset Search
- A critical blog post from SentinelHub on the state of EO
Season 2 Episode 5: How important is GDAL?
Scene From Above S2E5 (download file recorded on 16th August 2018)
In this episode we discuss GDAL and the pivotal role it has to play in the world of Earth observation and geospatial. In the news we talk about hydrology, how the public view space, sector growth and The Wedding Present! Amongst other things.
- Space priorities: 3% of people think going to the moon is important, but 43% felt climate change was most important
- Sector growth article
- How many small sats? 7000. Really?
- Monitoring ground deformation in Southern California
- The first Satellite Data Interoperability Workshop is go!
- The rather good, The Wedding Present
- GDAL homepage
- GDAL cheatsheet on GitHub
- Andrew’s GDAL tips
- gdalinfo image.tif > stats.txt
- gdal_translate -b 1 input.tif output.tif
- pktools – extended GDAL!
Season 2 Episode 4: A chat with CloudEO
Scene From Above S2E4 (download file recorded 26th July 2018)
In this episode we interview Maria from CloudEO about what they are looking to do with their data search and provision platform. In the news we talk about the EASRSC awards, Sentinel-5P and fire monitoring. Amongst other things.
- Sentinel-5P data are now available
- EO-Compass releases an awesome Sentinel metadata site
- Copernicus EMS monitors fires in the UK and elsewhere
- Sinergise and Dust Frequency Maps are winners at the EARSC awards
- If the Moon were only one pixel!
Season 2 Episode 3: U got skillz?
Scene From Above S2E3 (download file recorded 26th June 2018)
In this episode we record ourselves together in the same room for the first time, and discuss what skills are useful to have if you want to get a job dealing with EO imagery, and whether those skills have changed over the decades. In the news we talk about the Geospatial Commission and MasterMap, Sentinel-5P and space harpoons!
- As we were both in the same building at the same time, we grabbed a seat in the Satellite Applications Catapult which is part of the Harwell Space Cluster
- Geospatial Commission moves to open up parts of OS MasterMap
- Sentinel-5P maps of Formaldehyde
- Airbus are in the news! TerraSAR-X tasking and links with Planet.
- PakTES-1A launch announced
- SSTL launches RemoveDebris space harpoon!
Season 2 Episode 2: What’s in your bag?
Scene From Above S2E1 (download file recorded 8th June 2018)
In this episode we talk about what software might be good for EO image processing and whether you should know a bit of coding and have a decent laptop. In the news we talk about ICEYE, LiDAR data, Open-EO and geoint trends.
- ICEYE raises a huge amount of cash to do cool things with radar!
- Six top GeoInt trends
- Mediterranean Sea Surface Temperature Climatology
- Open LiDAR data for England from the Environment Agency
- Open EO User requirements survey
- 13 Open Source Remote Sensing Software Packages (2018)
Season 2 Episode 1: Geo-what-inary?
Scene From Above S2E1 (download file recorded 18th May 2018)
A new season!
Topic this time is all about geostationary EO satellites. In the news we talk about charging for Landsat imagery, the Jupyter project, cloud free S2 imagery and ecology.
- What happens if the US starts charging for Landsat?
- Sentinel 5P tracking ships dirty emissions.
- Pettorelli et al. article and RS for ecology article.
- Cloudless S2 map.
- Jupyter Project gets awarded for their efforts and impact.
- Meteosat images.
- And more Meteosat images.
Season 1 Episode 6: Quickfire round
Scene From Above S1E6 (download file recorded 5th April)
In this episode we ask each other a few EO based questions, that turn out not to be as quick-fire as we initially thought they would be. In the news we talk about space junk, a Copernicus workshop, a UK spaceport and Earth on AWS. Amongst other things.
- Space fishing! Reducing space junk using a harpoon and/or a net. And another article about reducing space junk.
- The double-decker bus converter.
- Amazing oblique imagery from Planet. Also, an oldie-but-goodie launch from the ISS.
- Cryosat used to monitor the Antarctic.
- Announcing the Inaugural Earth on AWS Fellowships and Internships Program.
- Copernicus for Water Management workshop.
Season 1 Episode 5: Analytical about Analytics
Scene From Above S1E5 (download file recorded on 14th March 2018)
In this episode we talk about using analytics and analytical methods to extract information from imagery, rather than just looking at nice images. In the news we talk about Remote Pixel, conferences, and a new R software package. Amongst other things.
- Remote Pixel NDVI series
- New penguin habitats discovered from space
- Letter in the Guardian about space junk in response to this article
- The SnapPlanet.io mobile app
- UK National Earth Observation Conference
- R-stats SITS package for timeseries analysis
- Enter the Landsense Challenge
Season 1 Episode 4: Timelapse
Scene From Above S1E4 (download file recorded on 21st March 2018)
In this episode we talk about how the temporal nature of remotely sensed data enriches the information in the imagery. In the news we talk about JupyterLab, another film review (!) and of course, SpaceX. Amongst other things.
- JupyterLab is ready for users
- Landsat 8 is five years old
- Mission Control: the unsung heroes of Apollo
- SpaceX – double sonic booms
- Sarbian OS
- Himawari 8 images of Mount Sinabung eruption
- Google Earth Engine Timelapse
- Timeseries vs GIS vs Remote Sensing on Google Trends
Transcript for Episode 4 will appear here in due course.
Season 1 Episode 3: Predictions?
Scene From Above S1E3 (download file recorded on 2nd February 2018)
In this episode we talk about a few things that we think will be big in 2018. We also chat about AWS, drought, Voyager and more.
- Sentinel 1 on AWS
- The Farthest
- DigitalGlobe ML for data storage
- RocketLab and the Humanity Star (and space graffiti)
- Planet Explorer Beta
- Cape Town Day Zero
- 20 years of Hype Cycles
Transcript for Episode 3 is partly available http://www.acgeospatial.co.uk/s1e3-transcript/
Season 1 Episode 2: What is Open Data?
Scene From Above S1 E2 (download file recorded 12th Jan 2018)
In this episode we discuss open data – what it is, how useful it is and whether there are levels of openness. We also chat about satellite launches, gigapixel images, conferences and more.
- Satellite launches
- Hyperspectral cubesats
- Landsat Science Team
- Europe Gigapixel mosaic image
- SCP 6 tool
- Sentinel-2 statistics
- FOSS4G-UK conference
- FOSS4G global conference
- Rasters Revealed 2018 conference
Transcript for Episode 2 is available here www.acgeospatial.co.uk/s1e2-transcript
Season 1 Episode 1: Is Google Earth the killer app?
In this episode we talk about whether or not Google Earth is still the killer app that non-specialists go to for their Earth observation fix, and what the next app might need to look like to take over the mantle from GE. We also chat about wildfires, openEO, the ISS and more.
- 2030 Vision For A World Empowered by Satellites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbrjkFWWtX4
- Wildfires: https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=91427
- Sentinel-3 portal: goo.gl/kigAW4
- openEO: http://openeo.org/
- GIS is Google Earth, but better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gc4r7gMz4k
- Wikimapia: http://wikimapia.org/
Transcript for Episode 1 is available here http://www.acgeospatial.co.uk/s1e1-transcript/
Season 1 Episode 0: Demo (Pilot)
- The GEE powered app: https://remap-app.org/remap
- Sentinel 5P image of Bali: http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/2017/12/Sentinel-5P_captures_Bali_volcanic_eruption
- Morocco satellite: http://northafricapost.com/20567-mohammed-vi-satellite-launched-orbit.html
Transcript for the Pilot is available here http://www.acgeospatial.co.uk/s1e0-transcript/
Note for readers / listeners
These podcasts are based on opinions at the time of recording. We will seek to rectify any errors as we come across them. We reserve the right to change our opinions at any time. We are not being paid to produce these podcasts.