Quite often I get sent / send shapefiles (zipped up mostly). I wondered if there was any way of reducing the filesize, sometimes these files can get quite big!
In this notebook I wanted to run some checks / experiments on whether I could reduce the size of a shapefile. I tried various options, simplifiying the geometry, trying to assign a field as categorical field, running a memory reducing function from a kaggle competition. But the only thing that really worked in the ultimate file size of a written shapefile was… only writing the columns of data I needed.
Perhaps this work may be of some use to memory optimisation – especially if you have an incredibly large dataset, there are some amazing memory savings to be had!
I’ve added comments where needed to the code here. I hope this has been of use.
Image credit https://unsplash.com/photos/cixohzDpNIo
I am a freelancer able to help you with your projects. I offer consultancy, training and writing. I’d be delighted to hear from you.
Feel free to connect or follow me; I am always keen to talk about Earth Observation.